It was a city created by a dam…
The people who descended on the remote northern Arizona wilderness in the early 1950s to build Glen Canyon Dam and the town of Page were true pioneers. They arrived to find Glen Canyon, with walls over 700 feet deep, a sandy, desolate, hilltop which had been part of the vast Navajo reservation, and an incredibly challenging way of life.
The first blast necessary for excavations at Glen Canyon Dam site was triggered on October 15, 1957, when President Dwight D. Eisenhower pressed a key setting off the explosion from an office in Washington D.C. Nine years, 11 months and 7 days later, construction was completed on the nation’s second highest concrete dam. It took nearly seventeen years for Lake Powell to reach its maximum capacity, but almost immediately became a popular tourist destination for people from around the world.
Although the community of Page started as a dam construction camp, the city was not officially incorporated until March 1, 1975. Today, the city of Page is home to approximately 8,000 residents and serves the nearby communities of the adjacent Navajo Reservation, Big Water, Utah, and Marble Canyon, Arizona. The Page community also serves over 3 million visitors annually, who come to enjoy the diverse and awe-inspiring landscape surrounding Page and Lake Powell.
The town of Page was named after John Chatfield Page, who served as Commissioner of the Bureau of Reclamation during the Franklin D. Roosevelt administration (1937-1943).
Welcome to Page, Arizona.
Click on the themed links to hear the colorful history of the town as told by the folks who were there at the beginning, and some who came in along the way.