They came to build a dam… they also built a town…they stayed to make history.
Page residents were aware they were creating a new way of life for the northern Arizona and southern Utah area. People came to the area to work on the construction of Glen Canyon Dam, Power Plant and Steel-arch Bridge, and those people needed places to live, play, worship and raise families.
The town had to be built from scratch. In the beginning, schools, new businesses, and families were temporarily housed in trailers and metal buildings. The construction camp was situated on top of Manson Mesa, a high desert landscape with no trees and lots of blowing sand. People began working quickly however, to transform the rough construction camp into a town.
Prior to the selection of the Glen Canyon Dam site, no roads came within 23 miles of the site. The construction of roads and Glen Canyon Dam Steel-arch Bridge, which was completed in 1959, made the area more accessible by car or truck, which in turn, made it possible to open up this “last frontier” of America. Building materials and basic necessities were more easily transported to the construction site and town. By 1960, a 25-bed hospital was in operation, permanent housing was being built, and permanent school facilities were completed with 36 classrooms.
Elmer Urban - First Choice of Mesa for Town, Business Lottery
Percy Marks - Survey of Town, First Over the Canyon
Walter Chubbuck - Overview: Everything all at Once
Jesse Allen - Trucking in Equipment, Pre-Road, Coffer Dams
M.K. Wilder - Bridge
Jack Reinhold - Search for Aggregates, Concrete Transportation, High line
Dick Kyle - Dam Construction-Monkey Slide, Batch Plant, Chiller Plant
Bob Bingham - Carpentry on dams
June Patterson - Road from Gap, early supplies
Marie Golliard - Pioneer feeling of Page
Milton Woods - Town roads and landscape
Eula Koury - Pioneers in station wagons
JoAnn Mosier - Pioneer feeling